R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

[
QUOTE=howardcano;12145104]Please, always dispute and question! One should never blindly accept anything. There is plenty of information on the web regarding vehicle dynamics. Gather as much information as you can. I'll try to answer your questions, but you certainly shouldn't use only my input regarding the subject matter.
First let me thank you for your considered response. I should have included deceleration in my questions cause that is more appropriate to the question we were discussing. I do have a number of differences tho.

If one end is raised and the other remains fixed in the height, then the CG is raised, and weight transfer is greater.
No, actually the correct answer is that the CG remains the same. It changes in relation to each end of the rod, but remains the same overall. It becomes lower in relation to the end that was raised and higher to the static end

There will be no effect on the total weight transfer if the height of the CG remains constant.
Yes and No. Since the CG remains constant in the rod, the amount of weight transfer will be affected by the relation of each end of the rod to it's CG. It only has no effect if the CG and each end ore on the same plane.

A higher CG gives more weight transfer because it has more leverage around the tire contact patch. This occurs regardless of the spring rate, or even with no springs at all (infinite spring rate)
First sentence true. Second not so sure. If it were true, we should be able to largely ignore springs, shocks , but i'll still consider changing that kind of stuff cause it seems to make a difference.

If all other things are equal, then no. The total weight transfer is controlled by the CG location, wheelbase, track, and acceleration only.
I believe that the amount the car rolls or transfers weight to the outside wheels is influenced by considerably more than the above.

My observation was for weight transfer only. As I mentioned above, we can use various adjustments to proportion the weight transfer between the tire patches, but the weight transfer will still occur in the same total amount.
Yeah, and that's why I told someone to raise his front ride to control the back end of his Mini if dropping the rear ride height did not do it. That was just one of several suggestions.

Maybe I'm just being obdurate here, but I still stand by my original statement that raising the front ride height reduce the steering sensitivity on corner turn in. I said i thought it was due to controlling the weight transfer to the front. Please note that we were fine tuning here and that we were trying to make a "good" mini into a better one. If your mini handles like all 4 wheels are going in different directions at the same time, just raising the front ride height isn't going to help much if any.