R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi4
Thread: Schumacher Mi4
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM
AzFittin
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Interesting... That's a pretty big left/right imbalance. I'd fix that first.

Your weight balance is also relatively far back, about like mine with battery in the rear. So I'm not sure moving it back is the best first move. If it's easy to try, though, go for it.

I'm not sure what to think about the setup, because I've never run without swaybars. Have you tried with them on? If you haven't, I'd try that next.

Silver front springs are worth trying, but I'd expect that to give you less turn-in response, with more mid-corner steering. If I remember correctly, my car was pushy but fast with pink / silver on asphalt. I'd definitely try the sways first.

.5 toe out per side probably won't make a huge difference. I'd save that for later.

I'd also try a bit more droop to see if it gets you more overall grip. Try 5/5 or even 5/4.5 to see if letting the rear roll more helps anything. Theory says that more rear droop lets more weight transfer to the front on corner entry. I found it would make the car push mid corner, though. also, on asphalt I find that more overall droop lets the front end dig in and bite harder. that's bad on carpet, but lets the car take a nice set on asphalt. Are you running only -1 camber because of tire wear? If so, more overall droop should help that. in any case, if you do sways and mess with droop, you'll need to experiment with camber again. my baseline is always -1.5*.

-Mike
Mike, thanks for the info! I will start with the L/R balance for sure. Reading your post made me think about it and the main corner I am having issues with is a left hander. Adding some weight to the right side might get me some more grip.

On the rear weight bias, I am running a pretty small spur which is locating the motor almost as far back as possible. Perhaps a larger spur may have a big impact but I will save that for later.

I have a set of the swaybars but have not given them a try yet. I was under the impression that they would lessen the weight transfer and the traction along with it. It has been a long time since I ran touring car so I may be going in the totally wrong direction here. In any case, I can fit them up this weekend and see how they affect things.

I am running -1 of camber purely as a starting point tho I did notice very uniform tire wear with it. I can certainly live with some tire wear if it helps this push so will tinker there as well. Front only or do you recommend the rear as well?

Jason