R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2002, 07:42 AM
Cain
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default XXX-S Drive Train problem

I spent a better part of last night trying to fix the problem to no avail and decided its time to run it by some of the folks here in a clear manner:

When assembling my kit I noticed that my belt would tend to drift depending on the direction I would rotate the wheels (ie- forward or reverse driving). When doing forward rotation, the belt would head away from the spur gear and towards the metal tensioner assembly and rub. When doing a reverse rotation, it would head towards the spur gear.

I also noticed that the pulley would every so slightly rub the spur every so often during a complete revolution. This would give off a scraping sound. I have taken out the complete assembly and worked it to see if anything is loose and the pulley has a slight wobble to it. This wobble also seemed to be prevalent in my spur gear as well.

I also went to work on my diffs to see if it was something there. I noticed that on what I am using as my rear diff one of the bearings that goes over the drive cup and holds the diff slides very easy on and off. While the other once it gets to a point snaps on and is hard to remove. The bearing that goes on easy also seems to allow its drive cup to wobble more as if it is not a snug fit.

the pulley that makes up the rear diff seems to have a wobble in it as well when I went and tested its rotation. This was also detected when I tested my 41T pulley gear to see if my problems were being caused by a bad pulley gear. This wobble was extremely apparent.

Overall, I received a scraping sound whenever I completed rotate the drivetrain and the belt drifts. I however didn't see a wobble in the actual drive cups and I didn't see any effect on my CVDS.

As for my CVDs, one of the CVD axle was an extremely tight fit for the part that holds the set screw and now has become stuck in there as if the part wasn't formed properly. I am not sure how to get it out.

I think this about somes up the problems I am having and the help I need. I have never had an issue like this before with a kit during assembly and I am a pretty big Losi fan so to say the least this is very dissappointing. I am hoping it is something I did wrong so I can take it to someone to correct but clearly it seems as if the parts were not formed right in some way.

If you can offer any help please feel free. Even with these issues, I have seen the car perform and its a shame for the one I have to be sideline as I am still determined to race it.