R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 AM
skyball
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rayrush
Is it better to have say a 5000 or less instead of a 6000 lipo which has less weight and balances out the weight distribution better also?
...well, I'd say that depends... Generally speaking you want your car to be as light as possible (within regulations), but also well balanced. I'd personally prefer a well balanced car which is a few grams heavier over a badly balanced lighter car.

I own a variety of Lipos, which differ about 20 grams in weight. I usually use one of the "medium weight" ones to balance the car and leave it at that.

BTW, yesterday I found a nice solution for my new Raceberry chassis, when I reused the 417X belt tensioner as a battery holder and for balance adjustment. Since the Raceberry chassis doesn't allow for the 417X kits center battery holder to be installed (screw hole missing), I searched for a possibility to fix the center alignment of the battery. I took the kits belt tensioner, which is usually installed on the top deck and put it on the lower deck of the chassis. By adding shims (in my case 1.5mm were fit) I can now adjust the centering of the battery to balance the car, additionally to still adjusting belt tension. When adding shims, it's important to add the shims to the outside (screw head side) and use shims that have a smaller outer diameter then the bearings. By this, the bearings stay at the right position and still rotate freely. I also replaced the default 12mm button head screw with a 16mm flat head to make room for the added shim and to have a flat surface facing the battery.

As I noticed, the belt now lighly scrubbed on the lower side of the steering assembly. I put 2mm shims under the steering posts to allow for enough belt clearance, which also makes the steering links more level. That seems to be a good thing to me. I never understood why they were built to be so inclined in the first place... >:-)

Please see the attached images for illustration. Ooops, my car looks so dirty, where's that dammned photoshop...

Christian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BeltTensioner1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1059127   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeltTensioner2.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1059128   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteeringPost.jpg
Views:	551