R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=waswadener;12059925]OK. Thank you for clarifying.

Do the PN 50746 shocks work well? Are they durable (as in not fragile in a crash)? Do their seals seem to hold for a reasonable time?

Wondering because although I want to keep the car TCS legal, if the PN 50746 shocks are junk, I'll go with after-market aluminum shocks for the same cost as these Tamiya plastic shocks.[/QUOTE

They work fine, but they are still plastic. Since they are, they are more prone to problems than the aluminum units. As to the after market units, yes they are less costly than the Tamiya ones. If you ever decide to run a TCS event, you'll have to replace them.

If you're going to use aluminum bodied shocks, why not just go to the Tamiya units to begin with. They are of better quality and will outlast your Mini. The #54000 shocks are about $55 and are worth the extra $$$$. They have a new set that's around $90, but having never seen a set, will not comment. My own personal favorite are the TC units #42102.

The ones on my best M03L are TRF shocks that were originally on the EVO 1. They are close to 15 years old and still work great. This car has an interesting history cause it's my first Mini that I bought used with a for $100. It was fully upgraded for it's time. Won a bunch of races with it, lost many, many more. In it's time it's been a SWB and a LWB. It's gone thru 4 or 5 front chassis, 2or 3 rear chassis, 3 esc of which one died and the other was upgraded, and it's on it's 2nd JR servo. Still the same TRF shocks, rebuilt many times, that were fitted to the car soon after being purchased.

Sorry, just an old guy telling stories. Not old guy stories tho, cause they are truthful.