R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
CW22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Mini M05 steering issue

Originally Posted by ic-racer
Minicooper issues: on a long straight it can suddenly and unexpectedly veer off one side or another.

I have been racing 1/8 and 1/10 nitro for 20 years and currently we must have 30 RC cars in various states of repair and restoration. But we are new to Tamiya MiniCoopers and front-wheel drive RC.

I built 4 in the last year for myself and kids:

M05 S-Spec #84204 ( http://www.hobbymedia.it/img/2011/06...hassis-kit.jpg)
M05-Medium WB with many mods to almost match the "S-spec"
M05-Short WB stock
M03-Short WB stock

The "S-Spec" M05 is the best of the group (the stock M05, the worst) but still not perfectly stable in a straight line like, for example, our current box-stock TT01-E Audi (or just about any other Serpent or Kyosh I have had in the past).

I have set up and checked all the following:
Front toe out per the instruction manual (I'm back to those original settings after trying more and less toe in than the instructions call for)
Minimal steering % programmed in
Generous negative EXPO on steering
Metal servo saver arm ( cam in kit)
Metal Gear servo (Hitec HS-645MG)
all metal BB steering linkage (came with kit)
BB wheels
Tires and wheels seem round and true as they spin.
FASST radio.
No binding on A arms with shocks off.
All 4 shocks feel the same with same type piston and oil
No tweak evident on chassis
Tamiya Sport Tuned motor (plenty fast)
NiHi battery (plenty of run time)

I have a ball diff on the way. If that does not fix it, I'm inclined to think there is something inherent in the design of the car (like not enough caster to self center the steering?)

The question is : What is the best I should expect from these cars in straight line stability?
Hi,

I had the same issued before like you mentioned, after I changed all the steering rack with all the Tamiya alluminium sets and also the Tamiya servo saver (Don't use the stock from the box is not good) and My mini M05 go straight with no problem, yes is expensive all those Hop-up. And the Tamiya TRF shocks is also makes a differents on handling the car, need to use red color spring front and rear, try to get the floresence color is more softer.
That's is my tips.
Good luck.