R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Sprint 2 Mods
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 AM
nubie-wan
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
Hey Marv,
What lipo batteries are you using? i bought a turnigy but with the hard case it wont fit the car so i took off the plastic case and it fit fine but when i go to plug it in i get a big spark so i never used it.
Not to hijack the thread Marv, but I have some advice.

The cells need to be insulated as the connections are now exposed unless you taped over them. Also, make sure you have marked the + and - connections properly as it sounds like you plugged it in backwards possibly. I would look back through this thread at the battery area mods that either I did or Marv did to remedy that fitment issue. Running a LiPo pack without the case is a bad idea and can burn your car up and your house down. You may have melted the connection between the cells when it sparked too. That can be fixed if neither of the cells puffed in the process. Please inspect that pack carefully and enlist some assistance if not sure. It really should be re-assembled if viable.

You need to mod the battery area to get the case to fit or find a smaller battery. Most of the hard case 2S LiPos are too big for them to fit without modding the car. I used a Dremel and files to remove about a 16th of an inch of material from the underside of the swing arms. The channel I milled is now level with the underside of the claws that hold the battery pack in. I filed the screws shorter too so they don't mess with the battery case. I know my picture is fuzzy and I will be posting some better ones soon. My largest packs, some Gens-Ace 40c packs, now fit easily with little slop. Just enough to allow some flex in the chassis. My Venom packs are a bit looser.