R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 AM
billdelong
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

It was pointed out to me via PM that the problem with the design is only for folks using brushed motors (in a spec class) which only has 2 threaded holes directly opposite from each other on the can, then if you don't have an open slotted spur, it's nearly impossible to tighten the screw closest to the rear diff because the screw is blocked by a solid plastic spur (I think this is what Tommy was trying to explain earlier). Those drivers were at the mercy of only one properly tightened screw, unless they painfully guessed several screw settings while removing the spur and tightening the screw behind with each successive guess.

Why not have a motor mount that fully encloses a circle around the shaft of the motor and have angled slots above and below such that there is no interference from the spur? Or at least raise the front hole so that it's directly opposite from the bottom hole. Those with brushless motors can get away with the current design because there are plenty of extra pre drilled holes in most brands of brushless motors.

Another argument can be made that brushed motors are going to soon be extinct anyway so why bother making a product backward compatible? Or simply buy a spur with super size holes to get to that rear screw.... I digress.

I'm just happy to learn I shouldn't expect any problems since I'm running a brushless motor, thanks everyone