R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Unsprung weight on your 8th scale
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Zerodefect
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TYTESSMANN
Since I was one of the few guys that actually tried the weight on the front caster blocks I can tell you what it did. The track that we ran on in Argentina was like nothing I have ever ran on before, the layout itself was relatively easy but the incredible high speed combined with all the bumps and rocks made this one of the most difficult tracks I have ever driven. At the beginning we really struggled for a setup, the new D812 is a car that is very nimble and has alot of steering on the track, perfect for US tracks but when we got on this track it was far too aggressive, driving my car on this track it felt like the car weighed nothing and bounced around, because of our lack of experience with this type of track we basically tried everything that we could to make the car easier to drive. The weight on the front was one of the things we tried, what it seemed to do was make the car react slower and feel lazier and easier to drive, the best way I can describe it maybe is that it made the car feel numb, luckily with more time on the track after the race we were able to come up with a setup that worked very well and the weight was no longer needed. I would consider putting the weight on the front as just a quick fix when needed.

So basicly, it sounds like adding unsprung weight hurt the cars front grip and handling making it easier to drive until they got the rest of thier setup dialed in and then they got rid of the weight.

Makes sense. More unsprung weight F's up the front suspension and costs you front grip. Less front grip, less oversteer, easier to drive.

More unsprung weight is not a good thing, but if it works......rock it. Not that I'll ever look at or use a Worlds setup sheet anyways.