R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec-R R1
Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I just read through the entire thread (only read parts before), and I feel like the R1 would be a great place to start for a total TC noob like me. I'm thinking of trying out racing in the local stock 17.5 class, and everything I read here sounds good for that.

So, other than breaking the pivot pins and occasional plastic, any other durability/wear issues I should know about?

A lot of guys here seem to be running Team Associated, but I don't like to run with the crowd It sounds like my lack of driving skills will be keeping me in the back, not the R1, am I right?

Before I pull the trigger, I'm coming up with a list of immediate upgrades. I have the Tamiya ball ends, the flange bearings, maybe Tamiya shock o-rings. Anything else I should get from TQRC with my order?

Going to try 5000wt oil in the back diff, stick with spool up front. But I see that the Spec-R diffs for the R1 tend to leak and sanding is necessary. Should I just get the Spec-R diff for the XRay and call it good instead?

Throw it all at me if you feel I should know it
FYI, Jeff Jenkins is local to us. So you can pick his brain about build / setup.

-Mike