R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
TPhalen
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Sorry to ruffle your feathers guys. My line of thinking started back here:

"""Nohing really major, however we are working on a form that keeps track of what equipment drivers are running (basically, a primary usage form). We are also throwing around an idea of using a system similar to real F1 where, if you decide to stray away from your primary equipment (say, to run your IRS car if you posted your direct drive car as a primary), you would be docked X amount of spots on the grid. This conforms to real F1 where, for example, you dropped a new motor in your car, you would be penalized for doing so. This will help level the playing field for those guys that only have one car to run, as opposed to someone that has 2 or 3 for running on different track conditions. We're still trying to figure out how to properly police it but it would certainly add a nice twist to the series!

new rules look good... except the last part about the 'primary equipment' rule. i can see that working on a per event basis but not for the entire season. for example let's say a racer starts the season and declares that they'll be using an F104v2 as their primary car. well what if Tamiya releases an F104v3 mid season - will that racer be penalized for the remainder of the season if he decides to upgrade to the newer chassis?"""

As you see, we agreed on that, at the time. I am trying to point out that there are rules that make sense and rules that don't! We are only disagreeing on which 1:1 rules should be included and which should not be included. As a hobbiest/racer, I don't see why setting up a car to stop in the pits is such a big deal, obvioulsy many disagree. I understand that it's easier to run into a rug that bring your car to a controlled stop, but it can be done, has been and is done in gas (nitro for you nubies) for years. You want to run into a rug...fine. I was attempting to share my thoughts.

I apologize for my comment about "ruining a good thing". My concern is that UF1 is expanding and questions are being asked about the rules. There have been and will be questions about which rules are "required" and which are "optional" for "satelite" UF1 Series. An example of this is in the Midwest. We run spec tire, tires are open in Cali. I was thinking since what is decided in UF1 Cali likely directly effects UF1 Midwest, I'd put in my thoughts.

It has become clear that I'm not welcome here, I apologize for the intrusion...
It's not an intrusion more than your 'tone' through the keyboard. We are well aware of the pitfalls with certain rules and haven't made any concrete decisions regarding the chassis rule. In fact, we've actually discussed it and decided this rule would be WAY to hard to police, so it will not actually see rule status.

You keep bringing up nitro cars and their ability to brake. You do realize that nitro cars are 4wd and, when you slam on the brakes, they DO brake in a straight line and almost instantly. Even a 'nubie' could do that and still maintain control...not so much for a RWD car that has ONLY rear brakes. We can't equate a 1:1 comparison here since real F1 cars have 4-wheel braking. So yes, the rug is important since not everyone can bring a RWD car to a controlled stop from racing speeds in a matter of feet.

Finally, we are working on a document that all UF1 affiliate locations must adhere to to remain in a UF1 location. Some rules, like the open/spec tire, can be adjusted as the affiliate sees fit; we know that not every location can adhere to our ruleset.

The UF1 is a constant work-in-progress and, while we enjoy and entertain new ideas for future rule updates/changes, positive criticism goes alot farther than what appears to be an attack on the Series. I know this is not your intent...at least I hope not!!!

Again, we want the UF1 to be SIMILAR to 1:1 F1, not exactly the same. And, while 1:1 F1 has the top echelon of drivers in the world, UF1 doesn't