R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dale.0
Capt. I have been using your set up for a couple weeks not. Before i had mentioned it was too aggresive. But you were right i just needed to get my tires sorted out. Scrub on the front, and Suburbs on the back is working great.

I saw you have gone to 30/-4. I think i am going to try less castor also. Is there a reason to go to 30/-4, instead of 25/0?
I find it strange that you are using two different kinds of tires front and back. Not only are you using very different side bite, but also different compounds. And maybe I am just ignorant to it as the tracks I run at here, we all run the same tire front and back, almost all the time.... but it would seem to ME, that you would first and foremost want to tune and set the car up so that it handles the way you want it to with matching tires... and you would only use miss-matched tires to address a setup issue you can't fix otherwise.

Is that what most guys at your track run? burbs back, scrubs front? Tracks and clay are SO different!!... scrubs absolutely don't work in the slightest at my tracks. (unless you want to scrub speed!)

Im glad you got the tires set... that is always job #1 before you worry about finer level adjustments on setup. Not only do you need the proper tires, but you need to get a set broken in properly first, and THEN take note of how the car drives... THEN work on those finer level changes on setup.

Traction is up way at my track, and with the increased rear traction, I am able to dial back in more steering. 30/ -4 is going to be the most aggressive steering you can get. 30 kick-up will give the best off-throttle forward weight transfer, and the low overall caster will give the most infield steering. I am running this specifically because my current layout has no highspeed steering sections where more caster is used... it's all slower speed turns.

But like always, I am still playing and fudging and learning where the car likes to be. I don't think I will keep 30/ -4 for long before changing again... track conditions (right now)... are changing too fast at my track to really nail something down. (kind of frustrating). We have another track change starting this coming weekend too, so its back to square 1. Can't finalize a setup until the clay starts to become consistent.... BUT, I am glad we are doing a track build for a change as our current layout is almost no fun at all.