R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
BCbud
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
There were no significant changes to the rollout.

Is it better to run with larger diameter tires while running outdoors? It seems to me, running larger the diameter tires gives the car stability and predictability in the corners. I think (- this is just a hypothesis -), when the tires foam wears down to a smaller diameter, the wheel starts to act upon or is changing the foams shore rating. This would be most notable when running outdoors on a hard asphalt surface. Whereas, carpet surfaces acts like a thin layer which buffers the foam tires from the hard underlying surface. This thin layer of carpet will absorb the influence of the wheel against the hardness of the underlying floor. Hence, why you can run such smaller diameter tires and still maintain predictable handling.

This is all a guess, but what do you think?
I ran my 1/12th 10.5 turn out doors last year on a sugar water treated track. I started with full size tires and ran them almost to the rims and I did not notice any noticable differance in grip. I did add more gearing as the tires wore down over time and adjusted the ride hight to mantain my 4mm. I used Exeed hard compound front tires and CRC pink rear tires.

If you do not add more gear as the tires wear down, you will get slower and have more torque as the tires get smaller. Also with the smaller tires you will notice an increase in the amount the motor slows you down off throttle. What pitch gears do you run, I use 64p for finer adjustment.