R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
hitcharide1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heh

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Well, if Ned runs one, I guess I will too.

At least I now know my schedule should accommodate some racing this season!
I'm still trying to figure out my schedule. Daughter moving out of college dorm coincides with the Toledo MWS, and her moving back in with the GLC. I hated college when I went, and now I hate college with her in it (tho it's a good thing, supposedly means she'll be self supporting at some point.)

I do have a K&N off my old Ford F150 I could install on the car...might look a little ungainly and I suspect it wouldn't be aerodynamic but I bet it'd be quiet! And somehow the mention of "rules" and such make me think of a little story...

In the Navy, we had this thing called PMS (not what you think!) "Preventative Planned Maintenance System." It was a huge list of checks and maintenance that had to be done at such a time using only certain tools, etc., and it consumed a huge part of our day with little to show for it. Then we went to the Gulf....and the first thing we did was throw away the book. The rules get a lot simpler when you're getting shot at, I guess. I just remember morale improving because we got to spend more time doing the JOB rather than dotting i's and crossing t's. And then I compare the J to a .50 cal machine gun....built some time ago but it's incredibly durable, reliable, and there's not much to compare it with. Sort of like pan class today, it's more about the fun of driving than the tech.

I'm still trying to get Edam to produce a pan car...I think they are a little hesitant, they don't see the market yet. Just out of curiosity, what's the thought of the crowd in here, another car like the Motonica (belt), something strictly gear driven, or shaft drive? I suspect were Edam to produce a 2wd, they'd be more inclined to do it along the lines of the Razor2 build, which Motonica does. Their RTR version 4wd, strictly for the newbie (but fully convertible and upgradable) is a bit heavier, nylon and aluminum pieces are much thicker, and it comes with the three shoe instead of Centax so a newbie can learn to drive before having to fool with the tech side of it. Should another pan be built along those lines as well? What I'm building and what Edam may produce I'm sure would be two different creatures entirely, but if I could get them to produce a 2wd, I could also make suggestions as to what the drivers would want it to be like. What are your thoughts....