R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbywing Xerun V3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 AM
FLAT OUT
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
Here you go.... There are 3 stages really. Software install, Update program box, update esc

Install Software
1) go to Hobbywing.com and download the latest firmware. Easiest just to follow this link... http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=218
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and follow the instructions to download.

2) Now, these files are packaged/compressed as .rar files for ease. If you don't have one, you'll need an unpacker as well. I recommend 7zip, as this can handle all the types of file compresses out there in one nice easy program. Link here - http://www.7zip.com/ just click the download now, and install to your PC.

3) Unpack the Hobbywing software from the rar file (with 7zip, double click, and then hit the extract all button, selecting where you want to put the file on your comp...for ease, I normally dump it to desktop).

4) Run the software installer from the location you put it on your PC. Just to be safe, run it in adminstrator mode (Right click, and select that option), as it requires administrator privilages to install.

So... hopefully that means the software installs fine, with no error's. Before updating the ESC, you'll want to update the program box.

Update Program box
1) Plug in your program box to the computer using the USB cable. The box should light up and say 'Connecting PC'

2) Start up the Hobbywing software. On the menu bar select 'Device', and then 'LCD Program box'

3) now go to the 'Firmware upgrade' option on the left hand side of the window. You'll find a load of options from the drop down box in 'Upgrade Version', select the latest one, which is 'V1.11_120331_V3', and then hit the 'Upgrade' button.

4) A window should flash up with 'Program update', and then a confirmation box when it's finished. Click 'ok' and the program box is updated

With that done, you can now update the esc.

Update ESC
1) Leave the Hobbywing software open, and in the 'Devices' option on the menu bar, select 'ESC'.

2) Now connect the ESC to the program box, and turn it on (not forgetting that you need to plug in a battery for it to work!). A progress bar should pop up, then a lot of new options should appear on the side of the window.

3) Select 'Firmware Upgrade' from the side, and in the same way as the Program Box, select the firmware to be put on the esc, and then click update. I recommend the latest firmware, which is 'V3.1_121129_Beta', works very well.

4) Same as the program box, click update, wait for the system to finish updating (takes longer with the ESC), and then hit 'ok' and your done.

Some recommend double flashing the esc to make sure the program sticks. Personally, I've never bothered, and never had an issue. Just make sure there aren't any problems with the USB ports on the computer, and your using a reliable cable.

Thats it really, nothing else to it Don't forget that you'll need to calibrate the ESC back to your radio again after updating the firmware though.

HiH
Ed
Hi Ed, I clicked on the Hobbywing link, Do I need to down load the USB link software as well as the Version 3.2_121204 software ? I already have the Hobbywing USB link 3.1 on my laptop. When I open that it says an update has been found, should I just click on that ? sorry for all the questions Im crap at all this stuff !!