R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Deaner
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Just got back from picking up the upgrade kits and some springs and metal gear sets.
So here is something about the diffs. After a few runs the rear diff had some debris inside (tiny pieces of plastic) so when I rebuilt that one I shimmed it and moved it to the front. The front one looked good so I simply changed fluids and put it in the rear.
A few more runs and it was all good until the last session when the rear diff was getting noisy and not hooking up.... that is the diff that was in the front and looked good previously. I took it apart and it doesn't look any worse than the first one with debris which was now in the front and working well. I was going to rebuild with metal gears but I think I'll just shim this one and run it again. Eyeballing fluid levels btw my scale doesn't measure to 100th of a gram. Also those 4 little screws are finally seating all the way, I expect the last bit of weeping to stop completely.
On the shocks I actually "flattened" the tops of the bodys, basically just made sure the "seating" area looked good.
So the upgrade kits, coolio, thanks Xray. A couple things though. They have an addendum instructions that tells you to cut the upper deck at the front. I would think that they are allowing the front gearcase to move a bit and absorb some shock ? Also why the extra big gears? Haven't heard that being a big issue. Nice though. And lastly I wish they had thought about a different brace for the front to support the case area. The one I fabbed up simply fit under the heads of the front case screws and the two tower to bulkhead screws, super effective.

Ohhh ok so basically you just lapped the top of the shock body where the cap seats against it? I'll prolly end up building the shocks just like the manual says and see what happens, if I get leakage from that area I'll give your trick a go, along with the black grease on the threads. Do you think maybe the rear diff issue has something to do with possible differences between the two diff cases? Tolerance wise? The front and rear diff cases are interchangable, no? Funny that the rear diff would wear different from the front; all things being equal. Think I'll marinate the diffs in diff oil (and worcester sauce) before assembly.

Thanks for the insight, I'm still fairly new to this hobby and I'll take all the help I can get!