R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Don't think of it as "more or less traction", think of it as "more or less traction gain" This is because you develop more and more traction, the more the car rolls.

Picture car #1, a car that has it's suspension locked down so the arms can't move. If the car can't roll, the amount of traction the car has on either end of the car, will be the same at corner entrance, mid, and exit, because the car stays completely flat. You will have zero traction gain, throughout a corner.

Now, lets say you have car #2, a car with proper suspension, with a super low roll center. This car will roll a lot. The peak of it's roll will be dead smack mid corner. So picture the "curve" of your traction change. This car's curve will be tall and steep as it approaches mid corner, and then come back down again as it exits. The first car's curve would be about flat.

If you overlayed the two graphs on top of eachother, at the very entrance to the corner, the relative difference between the two is very close... and same with the very exit. The BIG difference between the two, will be in the middle.

So if you run a wider track, and therefor less roll (less traction gain)... you might say to yourself (or feel), "man this car has more rear traction at corner exit"... well, it doesn't have more traction at corner exit, it just has LESS traction mid corner than a car with a bigger curve, so you might perceive more exit traction because of how much traction it has mid corner.

Did that make any sense? I have a hard time understand what I wrote myself... I need to draw up some graphs.

What will really get you is when you start changing angles and lengths of your tie rodes, you change the shape of these traction curve graphs.