R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
wwddww34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Originally Posted by beemerfan
If HPI makes this body available separately from the kit, I think it will require and invitation to the VTA party! I'll bet those velocity stacks are good for a few tenths.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/109299/
Already been discussed in this thread. Notgonnahappen. Not period correct. Never raced in Trans Am.

If they allow that, they'd have to allow the Corvette, which is period correct, and "cooler" than this Mustang!
+1. Going back to pages 167 and 168 of this thread. Read about what's been said about this HPI '69 Mustang body. The last quote at the bottom is the last word about the '69 Mustang body from RobK.
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
This is that new Vaughn Gittin Jr body for his drifter from HPI. Its on their website now. 69 Mustang with a sweet custom spoiler rear end. Assume it will be VTA legal? I imagine they will offer the body clear. If not, at least the RTR version.
Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
ELEANOR
That is all I have to say about that !!!

I'm not even a ford guy but I'm gonna buy one
Time to go watch gone in 60 sec again
And maybe even BULLITT
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
Are you sure this is a 1969 Mustang? What is up with those blowers coming out of the hood?
Originally Posted by kwkride
It's very modified with the flares and such, almost a caricature of a '69.
(so it may not be VTA legal)
You can tell that it's a '69 because of the headlights.
Those are fuel injection stacks coming out of the hood.
Originally Posted by FauxMako
The RTR-X Mustang is a show car. Yes, it started life as a 69 Mustang, but that's not really what it is anymore. It's a show car/publicity stunt for the RTR brand.

Hopefully the stacks are separate and can be left off. I don't see why it couldn't be VTA legal. I doubt it has any areo advantages over the HPI 70 Mustang. Greenhouse is about the same. Other than the fender flares, chin and rear deck spoiler it's not that much different.
Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I don't see what is so radical about it that it wouldn't make the list simply on the merits of being a 69 Mustang. It certainly would not be the first that raced with big fender flares. That set of trumpets on the hood look like they can be left off. Im going to try one as soon as I can.
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
According to the Historic Trans-Am roster there was a 1969 Mustang that was driven by Dan Gurney.

Minus the headlight covers I think it looks similar enough to the HPI 69 Mustang RTR-X body ...
Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I think Myron likes the looks of it. Doesn't mean that he will want it on the official list. I plan on getting one. If Rob doesn't approve it then I will probably drift it.

I am fine either way. When the shell comes out I will buy it. VTA or not. Make a killer USGT shell. Even if it is at disadvantage in airflow.

Rescue do you have VTA racing there in Saskatchewan? Do you have bears? Zombies? We have Zombies. They vote.......
Originally Posted by robk
I'm not really inclined to allow the body since it is modeled after a modern rebuild. Even if Parma has less than stellar details on a body, it's not a "pro - touring" redo of a car.