Thread: Schumacher Mi4
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wheels: Try looking here for part number reference:
http://www.hpiracing.com/hpiwheels/touring/

I personally like the Split 6 #3795 (it doesn't list an offset, but I don't see any non-zero offset part numbrs), because they look cool and seem pretty sturdy. I have also used the TE37 (#3835 for white +0 offset) which also look awesome in white. They also have #3695 Super Stars, but HPI Europe says they're 1mm offset.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with non-zero-offset rims. Even the Vintage fronts are 0 offset. You could try the narrower hexes, but everyone runs those in front already anyway. You could try less shims behind the hinge pin blocks, but that affects a lot of things, like camber link length and shock positions, and you need to be careful about the CVD bottoming out and binding.

Or, you could just not worry about it, and run a 200mm body. I've seen locals do well with the Pagani Zonda, Ford GT, and Mercedes Benz CLK GTR. I think they may have all been running the Vintage rims / tires, though. Someone in the USGT thread had success with the Toyota MR-S GT. I have one of those, but haven't gotten around to trying it. The 200mm shells tend to be heavier, though, but you can run a wider track width with them.

As far as moving the motor, it's a tuning option. When I ran VTA on asphalt, my car was super loose entering corners, and going to a larger spur/pinion helped tame that. I've tried moving the battery to the forward position in 17.5 TC a couple times, and it's interesting. It was pushy on entry, but rotated a bit more under power and the back end felt livelier. So it kind of depends on your other electronics and how the car is working.

-Mike