Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Still Bill
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Reliability and lower maintainence

Originally posted by imjonah
Asphalt racing has ended here an I am thinking of running my XXX-S on a medium size indoor carpet. I have been a little frustrated my first year with all the problems with my car and with my own absent mindedness/simple mistakes.

My plan is to make a few changes to my car in order to make it a little more reliable and require a little less maintain. My plan is to work on driving skill in the off season instead of trying to make the car itself as fast as possible.

I am replacing all my bearings with rubber sealed ones. I am going to switch to longer life brushes and gear my stock motors a little lower. I am also going to get the wider front bumper(I already have the brace) I am going to use some of the clear duct tape and shoo goo to reinforce my body. I am going to try to do something to protect the rear axles. (It seems like hitting the wall whenever the car gets loose and the rear wheels even tap the wall I break a rear suspension part.)
I am going to charge my batterys at 4 amps and do a better job rotating my packs instead of depending on one or two good packs.
I am also going to try an test run the car out in the street the day before a race to help prevent nasty surprise on race day.

Does anyone have any tips for improving reliability and reducing maintainence on the XXX-S.
imjonah,

Guess I don't have any suggestions to "push the envelope". Sounds as though you are retreating to safe ground.

Are you running plastic or graphite parts on your XXX-S?

Does the indoor track have "friendly" barriers?

What amps were you charging at previously?

Don't consider carpet racing to be the "off season". It is a whole season unto itself and can be just as rewarding as asphalt. I know people that only race on carpet.