R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tim K
Hi Granpa,

Yes, I was told this was a David Jun diff mod when he was using the TA03 touring car.

When you clamp down on the thrust bearing with some pliers or a vice you can see it getting thinner, the 1150 just stays the same thickness, it doesn't budge.

I've heard of people running without 1 or 2 of the cone washers but using an 1150 bearing to get a more consistent tightness on their diff. But in terms of feel, their diff felt identical to a standard TA03 diff with AW grease.

I've also heard that there is a difference in thickness from thrust bearing to thrust bearing, which is why an 1150 is said to be more consistent. I can't confirm how true this is as I can't be bothered measuring all the different thrust bearings :-)

I went to the 1150 diff earlier this year. The standard TA03 diff was fine when freshly built with the AW grease, but after 2 runs it would find its level and it just wasn't tight enough. Running the TA03 diff with the 1150 made it too tight initially, but it was more consistent, so I ran with it for a few race meetings. I found that the tightness tapered off after 3 or 4 race meetings, but it was still a lot tighter than a standard TA03 diff. The downside was there was a lot more wheel chatter on full lock. This problem was solved by using the Yeah Racing double joint universals, which I've found to be the strongest out of the double joint universals for the mini, but after a few hard hits at a couple of race meetings the universals would break.
Also the wear on the tires was a lot worse with the tighter diff. I've now changed back to the standard TA03 diff with AW, and standard Tamiya universals.

I've tried the TA03 oneway in the mini, but back in the sport tuned motor days ... it was fun, until there was someone crashed in front of you, and you needed to stop ...
Tim, read your post with a lot of interest. The 1150 bearing mod must work and there was no questioning on that point. The main concern was the longevity of the bearing. If the cone washers are assembled correctly, you will load outer race one way and the inner race the other. If assembled incorrectly, the bearing becomes an expensive spacer. I really hate working on cars and just like to go out and drive. The standard TA03 diff, assembled properly with TLC, will usually go over 6 months before a rebuild. I just can't see an 1150 modded diff doing that.

Don't know if you've ever tried the R1 Wurks universals, but they are really a quality unit. I use them for practice, but do have to use the Tamiya units for the TCS races. Also have found the one piece Tamiya universals to be much smoother than the built up ones.