R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 PM
sgp-chris
Tech Adept

Hi all,

I have been busy building and modding my D3 during the past 14 days or so. Im going all aluminium hop-ups on this chassis, but I have decided not to upgrade to the carbon parts. Waiting on the front bearing cover thingy to be released, then I will also order the rear bulkhead, and the steering arms. Im planning on switching to aluminium pulleys aswell.

Well my main issue is the center belt slop, I bought 2 of the sakura belt tensioners, but I felt there was still to much play. I didn't want to add spacers, and I did not like the look of the pulley in the middle of everything (sorry pickled, I do love the concept though ). So I decided to mill my own spacer, and place the sakura tensioner on top of that, rising the whole assembly 15mm, and the tension is perfekt now. I just finished it 2 hours ago, and I don't have pictures of it yet. But Im a bit mental (lol), because im still not satisfied with the look of it, so i have created a new plan of attack

Im going to mill my own top deck instead. Making it about 1mm - 2mm thicker (will give me the spacer effekt) and then make some holes for the 2 belt tensioners at either end. Im hoping that will give me a nice and tight belt, and also a more clean look to the car. Maybe... I will make it later today. I will post some pics of it when im done

I have bought the Tetsujin intercooler, and what a nice piece of craftsmanship. Its really detailed, and i love it. The problem was that since the D3 is front moter based, the intercooler would stick out to far from my s14 body. That did not look pleasent to the eye, so I have modified the bumper. I cut out the foam in the middle, and only kept the sides. then i milled a piece to sit between the 2 middle post, wich i could attach the intercooler to. I then had to mill the "horns" of the bumper plate, in order to get the intercooler positioned as far back as i needed. The result is perfekt, it know sits exactly where I want it. He are some pictures of that.

Machined part. The material is a composit fiber, glued together under high pressure and heat.

Gone are the "horns"

Finished look

I went a little nuts with the LED's

I will post more pictures, when I get some more mods ready

Last edited by sgp-chris; 12-20-2012 at 08:03 AM.