R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2012
Thread: Xray T3 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM
AlGio
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losiho
I ran my T3 for the first time on the weekend and would like some help and advice. I used the stock asphalt setting recommended in the kit, with the following differences -

Alloy shocks, 35W Associated oil all round with 3 hole 1.2 pistons, stock springs
Droop 6 front, 5 rear (on the droop gauge, not the ORH method)
1,000cst diff oil
Ride & Sorex 36 tyres
1 degree negative camber front, 2 degree negative rear
1 degree toe in (front)
Ride height 5mm front, 5.5mm rear

I'm racing at TFTR, current track layout is track 2 reversed http://www.tftr.org.au/index.php?p=1_46 . The track is bumpy in places and the asphalt is also cracking in some areas. I'm running in the 21.5 boosted class.

The car has plenty of on-power steering and rotation, but that doesn't suit my driving style at all. I have a classic "slow in, fast out" style, and I want the front end of the car to do the steering, not the rear. With my current setup, there's plenty of traction and steering if I hit the throttle on or before the apex of the corner, but if I corner using my style of driving, there's no rear end stability or traction. High speed stability and turn in is good.

I did not want to blindly throw setups at the car. It was my first club meeting with the car, and I wanted to get a good feel for the standard setup and what I wanted to change before making changes.

I'm thinking of doing the following - lengthen the rear camber link, increase rear droop (to 6 front, 4 rear) and move the top of the rear shock out one hole on the tower.

And suggestions would be appreciated.
It sounds like you are getting oversteer on corner exit with your driving style.
You may want to just lower your rear roll center first by either adding a 1mm shim to your inside camber link or remove one from the outside of the link.
By moving your shock out you will make the shock feel like it is harder and may actually decrease traction. You may want to use a lower oil and/or softer spring for a little more roll instead. Also consider using 32 rubber in the rear instead of the 36's.