R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot
Actually you're the same reason you think RM would help is why MM is helping him. Like he said the pendulum effect is causing a large amount of weight transfer on a medium traction track where (in stock buggy) MM allows him to come into the corner faster and carry that speed thru the turn and because of this, on exit, he's driving faster than traction available causing him to step out. In mod this may cause an issue, but not with a 17.5...

To say it was everything else but MM and to completely discredit it for no other reason but it's not the norm is very disappointing coming from you. Especially since you're an integral part of this thread and this forum. I figured you'd be more open minded even more so with all the cars you've owned.

There may be other factors, but mid motor from a design aspect continues to be faster when set up and designed correctly. I'm a believer, once the money is spent to really making it main stream and the technology catches up...just remember I told you so. But for now, the tires don't have the traction in mod
Sorry to disappoint you.. but frankly, im not here to impress you. I just give my opinions like everybody else, you are free to listen to them, or ignore them... matters not to me. But im only here to help.

Iv owned and raced both mid motor cars, and rear motor cars, but only on the tracks local to me here, and lap times always favor the car that has more weight over the drive tires. It's a combination of having only medium levels of traction at hand, and the tight nature of the smaller indoor tracks.

At BRCR we used to run our clay wet. We would mist the track every hour to keep it tacky, and we ran slicks. Our traction level was at or above carpet. Mid motor cars were tops! I ran the Schumacher Couger then, and nobody could touch it. It carried more corner speed, and because traction was SO high, I could get heavy on the throttle on 180s and have plenty of rear grip (no wheel spin). About a year into our clay, we decided to start running our clay like all the other tracks in the area, dry. We would still water at the end of the night, but the clay hardned up over night and through the day (like most tracks) and we ran pinned tires (gold barcodes). Traction was still good, but nothing like the bizzare carpet like traction of the wet clay we used to run. Now that traction level was down to around "medium"... the mid motor cars just couldn't get on the throttle hard enough in some sections of the track. So while they might of been better in the sweeper and some of the faster sections, they were MUCH slower on the 180s and tighter turns where you needed a lot of rear/forward traction. You would spin a bit and lose your momentum, and all of a sudden, all of the time you made up in the fast sections, was gone. Overall laptimes were lower because the car became less consistent. I spent a LOT of time working on setup, and you just can't "out setup" having a lack of weight over the drive tires when traction is low.

Even drivers like Jorn, who is a master of the mid motor car, one of the fastest guys on the planet, ran RM here in the states on our smaller indoor clay tracks in his durango... Why? because it produces faster lap times with that level and type of traction.

Look, im not saying that mid motor can't work with the proper set up. But there is always a give and take with how you run the weight balance and location in a car, and with a lower traction surface, the time you lose from lack on forward traction is greater than the time gained from extra corner speed on the faster sections of the track. If the car was 4wd or front wheel drive, it would be different... but because the car is TWO wheel drive, and they are in the back, RM will produce better traction OVERALL, than MM. (on our surfaces).

So.. that's my opinion, and lap times back me up. Feel free to run MM, or RM, or whatever you want. Here is where we discuss our opinions, and im not disappointed in you for giving yours.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 11-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.