R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
axle182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jha07
Question for the M03 drivers. I'm thinking about getting a mini for racing as a second class. I really don't want to spend much, and was thinking of racing it bone stock. How durable is the car in stock form? I'm a decent driver, so I'm not going to be crashing very much. But are there any "must have" hops up that are needed just to make the car more durable?
IMHO, id be on the look out for a second hand car. You will save alot of money buying one with the upgrades installed. If you do decide to go stock std M03 Id suggets the following depending on which kit you buy -

-Plastic CVA shocks - not as good at the alloy ones, but if your kit comes with the friction dampers, you will need oil shocks at the min.
-Tires - Depends on your track. check with the locals
-Ball Bearings - a must. again depends on kit
-Your kit will have the gear diff, depending on your track surface, build it as suggested in this thread (I prefer putty).

Thats about it. The alloy bling really doesnt equate to going faster, and geometry of most of it is exactly the same as the plastic. Ive found the plastic lasts very well too. Mini is a fantastic second class, as its very easy on maintenance.