R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
I have experieced the opposite. When using 1200-1500 cst with the standard diff the rear end is quite loose. When switching to really thin oil, 50-60 wt, the car felt much better. Of course this all depends on grip levels aswell. We have only low grip carpet tracks here.
Originally Posted by RasCalDK
Correct, of cause it depends on the grip level. And yes, in low grip conditions, the diff must not be too tight
I have experienced both situations, and it really reflects on the track layout and the surface. I tend to run the lighter oils as well, but this last race I ended up going to 2k oil which really helped the car setup off the corner. Definately a tuning tool and something to consider when going to different racks, so don't get locked into thinking whats good at home should be good elsewhere.

One thing I did notice when I went from the lighter diff oil to the heavier oil, my diff actually smoothed out and no longer had the notchy feel to it. Which makes me think that possibly the lighter oil isn't coating the teeth of the gears as well as the heavy oil, so the notchy feel is more of the feel of tooth on tooth with no oil "cushion" between them. This also make me wonder if using certain silicon oils doesn't give enough cling to cushion the teeth....might have to try a natural oil instead of a silicon.