R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Pitting / Shortage of HELP
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Rsickles
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If it's your local club where everyone knows someone, for club racing one guy can pit a couple different cars with no issue. We usually do it this way at local races here; and to be honest, I'd rather have a 'veteran' nitro guy pit me, even if he's pitting two other people, than someone who doesn't know anything about nitros and would likely fill my radio tray instead of my tank.

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Finding someone to pit for a stranger is a problem. The RD's common line is - people are friendly, you'll/we'll find someone. The reality is that there are often a thousand and one reasons why they can't do it. Many times the excuse is really shabby. Factor in the occasional strange looks and it's the pits.
100% spot-on!

There were a couple times where I went racing by myself, at new tracks where I didn't know anyone, and had to find someone to pit me. It's amazing how 'busy' some people are charging lipos and even 'working' on their cars.

True story: One time I found some guy to help me pit. After the start he walked away, I guess to go spot...? I was just thinking, "where the hell is this guy going?" It was time for first rounds of pits and my guy was still standing out there. I pulled my car over in a corner so I could wave at him to tell him I need fuel. His reaction? He smiled and waved back with a thumbs-up....

I'll be honest and say the reality of it is, you bring your own pit man. I mean, do you want a stranger pitting you at a big race? Heck if it comes to it, bring your neighbors kid and pay him $20 and buy him lunch.