R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 02:01 PM
CraigM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quantra
Yeah that sounds about right! I'm far from being a pro driver and very unlikely I ever will be. So for me having a car that is completely stable, easy to drive and can be thrown into the corners is number 1, then comes making that set up as fast as I can but so I can still drive it.

What I mean is the set up generally lacks grip and side bite. It feels like its floating on top of the carpet rather than biting into it. So how the car was before the tyre changes was that it followed every movement of my hand and felt direct but I had to do silly things like slam the steering on in a sweeper to get it to go out of shape. It gave a lot of confidence.

Right now I can almost see in the sweeper that the front tyres are struggling for side bite even with the shocks laid right down and the car feels neither direct or planted.

Thinking further on my problem that this has come from breaking my original X chassis (2.25mm) and replacing it with the thicker X (2.5mm) and then being ill and missing far too much racing. So I'm thinking I'll probably have more success with a thinner more flexible chassis again. I know this isn't the recommended way to go on carpet but I do remember at some times having too much grip or bite with the original X chassis. So I'll prob get the new decks when they come out and maybe then I'll be happy with my car again.

Thanks very much for the responses so far, nice feeling there is someone there to help, a feeling I miss at the track as the only TRF driver there these days =/
It sounds like you are just lacking grip. The 2.5 chassis should be OK, it takes away a bit of grip but not a huge amount. With your shocks being so leaned in you will have very little forward bite, so that would explain why you can't run the D block on the rear safely. Stand them up to 3,3 and tune the rest of the setup before changing them again. For more mechanical grip, drop your camber links by 1mm on the inside, so 3.5mm F and 3mm R on the inner bulkheads. This will give you a lot more bite. The rest of your setup looks ok as a starting point.

Also if you're only struggling since changing tyre it sounds like your prep may be wrong, so I'd experiment with a few different additives.