R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 AM
BCDK
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
I don't know if this helps any but but my diff is running flawlessly. This is what I did and experienced: On the brand new S411TE kit I recieved about a month ago, the gear diff bag included the two main gears and the two smaller gears. I installed the large shims behind the main gears (in between the gear and the o-ring) like the instructions tell me to. The kit also came with the two small shims that would normally go behind the 2 smaller gears. (only installed two gears, not four, didn't even come with four) The revised instructions that came in the box showed the picture installing WITHOUT them. Wasn't sure about that but I did what the instructions said and my diff is very smooth and no gritty-ness whatsoever. (without even sanding anything. Everything looked perfect when I inspected it all) I guess the small shims wern't needed. Using a mix of 1000 & 2000 oil filling to the top just covering the teeth of the gear. Had the new clear looking o-ring seal. Not one drop of leak at all. Does this have anything to do with what everyone is talking about? I race 17.5 Blinkey and I use a Novak balistic with the hi-torque rotor and it is as fast and punchy out of the corners as any other car on the track so I feel the weight and performance of this gear diff is just fine. Feels the same today as when I built it a month ago.
And on a side note, before I had a Xray T3 so when the Spec-R gear diffs came out I bought one. Then right before I sold the car I got the Xray one and both leaked a little and neither felt as smooth as this new Serpent one. Just my experiences...

The V2 diff is smoother than the V1 diff. I always sand the gear. Yuo can't be sure, that the backside of the gears don't have any tiny grit. Therefore - always sand the gears before use.

You can tune your diff. Especially the V1 diff. Either sand the gears a lot, or take one shim (or even both shims) away from one of the large gears. The diff will free up. You can't feel the teeths anymore.

In our two cars, we have in 1½ years never had a diff break down. Runs both superstock (17,5 T boosted) and modified.