R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC Crew Chief Software
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM
BobW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chassis Stiffness Comparison

Sorry for taking so long to get this done but tough to get track time and my day job has been all consuming. Anyway I finally got the track all to myself for the afternoon. I planned to complete all the runs today but unfortunately my rear diff grenaded with three runs left to go. So here is what I have completed so far.

Test 1 – Balanced Roll Stiffness with soft and stiff chassis setting
Test 2 –Front Stiff Roll Stiffness with soft and stiff chassis setting
Test 3 – Rear Stiff Roll Stiffness (this is when my diff grenaded) – to be completed

Test sequence
  • Broke in a new set of tires at the start of the day.
  • The same two batteries were used for the two runs in each car setup.
  • Anti-roll bars were used to change the roll stiffness to keep thing simple. RC3 Setup Summary sheets for Test1/2 are attached if anyone is wants to see exactly what I did.
  • Run duration was approximately 40 laps (about 6 min)

Results
The results recorded using RC Scoring Pro are summarized in the ChassisStiffness1.pdf file. Hopefully the format is self-explanatory. While the sample size is not large the results certainly seem to indicate that the soft chassis setting produced better results. The difference is very small we are talking about hundreths of a second here between the soft and stiff chassis setting but that is what it takes to get to the top of the qualifying order.

Another interesting result from the test so far is that apparently a Front Stiff suspension setup can shave almost .1 sec off my Avg Top 20 lap times. Now I call that significant.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BalancedSetupSheet.pdf (173.1 KB, 213 views)
FrontStiffSetupSheet.pdf (173.0 KB, 175 views)
ChassisStiffness1.pdf (74.3 KB, 232 views)