R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lipo batteries....TRUE C rating????
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
HobbytownGBW
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
Pretty much what everyone else said. C Ratings are marking gimmicks. If a 5000mah pack was actually able to do 65C that would be 325 continuous amps. Good luck getting 10 guage wire to handle that much current, let alone 12 guage.

An example I use at the shop when people ask why some cost so much more than others is comparing a CRC (Calendra Racing Concepts) 5300mah 40C 2S to a Venom 5300mah 70C 2S. CRC's price is $54.99 and the Venom is $114.99, that's double the price for 30C more. I tell them unless you are running a 4WD SCT with a hot system there won't be much of a difference. What you're really paying for is the "lifetime" warranty you get with the Venom. Most end up going with the CRC sometimes two unless they are convinced on the warranty.

Still people will buy their 100C batteries and pay out the a** because they swear it gives them an advantage...
Venom has a huge series of 5000mAh packs that are a little more affordable. My shop has had a hard time selling the expensive venom packs also. That being said, our best selling packs are venom 25c.

The only difference ive noticed between a 25c venom and a 60c Reedy pack is the way the packs relax after a long rip on the throttle. At full charge, the pack will perform the exact same, but after a few hard acceleration/deceleration cycles, the higher C rated packs tend to stay SLIGHTY stronger. That being said, most tracks don't have the traction to actually notice this difference.

What people need to focus on more is the current draw their motor is capable of. I've literally had 17.5 class drivers tell me that 90c packs are required to compete in that class, when the reedy 17.5 is only rated to a maximum of 27 amps. That tells me that a 5000mAh with a 20c continuous rating is 4 times more powerful than is necessary to power that motor.

On the other side of that coin, Tekin rates my Truggy motor capable of about 160A. I don't think I would want to push that motor to that kind of limit, but needless to say, I use a battery that has a continuous current rating that is comfortably over 160A.