R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCing15
About a week ago I was thinking that the steering rack should be mounted on top of the steering arms. This would raise the cross-member and you would be able to use less shims at the steering knuckle and on top of the cross-member. This would allow the steering to move further and the cross-member to be supported versus hanging from steering arms.
I started taking apart the steering on my T3 11 to see what I could come up with. I flipped the steering post and mounted it upside down with a 1.5mm shim between the post and chassis. I flipped the steering arms and mounted the cross-member that I previously drilled and tapped a hole between the Ackerman mounts.*
The steering arms barely clear the belt and the belt slightly rubs the right side steering arm. With some minor tweaking this could be done. The drag link clears the top deck too. I'm currently having a friend mill/lathe some old posts to try this on the T4.*
I'm hoping the steering posts on the T4 have a wider stance then the T3 and that will make the belt clear the right side and with some shimming of the post it will clear the belt. I will let you guys know how it works out when I get my T4.

Jeff Hastings*
Remember that even though you will be using less bump shims, you are effectively changing the inner pivot point for the steering link, which means you are altering the way bump steer will be applied through the suspensions range of travel.

Skiddins