Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 AM
jeff jenkins
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
Ok, so my car turned up finally after sitting in customs for over a week :-/

Built it yesterday, no major concerns at all apart from as jeff mentioned, the layshaft is miles off with regards to shimming, I must have measured about 1.2mm extra endfloat. But that is easily shimmed out, or in my case I think I'm just going to make up some new bushes that the layshaft sits in to take up the slack.
Also the hubs with the top hats feel like they needed a shim in too.. Like you have on the TCX etc between the top hat and the c hub.

I too had to add 0.1mm spacers to the upper bulkheads to avoid pinching.

Basically the car went together very simply, just be sure to have some of the correct sized shims available when you do the build.

All in all a nice piece of kit and I can't wait to give it a run in the next few weeks.

Pictures of unboxing and build in my blog link below
Last night I changed out the kit spur gear for a kimbrough spur gear and the Kimbrough gear is thicker which makes it so the kit shimming on the layshaft ends up being correct. Only thing is the position of the belts on the center pulleys are now not.centered they are slightly rubbing the inner pulley wall. I changed out the.spur because the.kit spur is very load .