R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 AM
daleburr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The 417 is a lot more rear biased than the tc6. The motor, and battery are a good 6-8 mm further back than on the tc6. The rsd6 is somewhere in between as the battery can be moved back 5mm vs the tc6. Geometry wise the 6.1 arms are almost a copy from the trf ones, but the upper rear hub position is 2-3mm further out in the 6.1

Diff position is also another thing that is different as well. The tc6's diffs are either higher than the lowest 417 or a bit higher. I feel like it lacks an in between position.

Lastly, the wheelbase is a lot longer on the tc6 in std setting.

At the moment, they are both fast, very similar laptimes. The rsd6 feels more locked in on the track, while the 417 feels like it has more corner speed, however the lap times come out so close it's not funny.

I am trying to replicate the geometry of the 417 on the rsd6 to see what the effect on the car is. The rsd6 is narrower and the motor does not overhang as far out. So it will be interesting to ser what happens.
Thanks for the info. I tried exactly the same with my TC6 when I picked up a used XRay T3'11 to copy. I copied everything it was possible to (RCs, track width, wheelbase, WD, toe, shock positions, diff heights etc) and it still handled nothing like the XRay! So much of modern TC handling seems to come from the subtle things like chassis flex, steering arcs, wishbone stiffness etc it's unreal.