R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Durango DEST210R thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Jonny5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBL15
does anyone know if any company is thinking about a carbon chassis as we race a controlled 10.5 blinky class and as per normal the Durnago are not the lightest in the field

but i guess plastic V carbon would not be a huge difference compaired to the steel buggy chassis
Kit buggy chassis is aluminum, not steel. But it is heavier than an equivalent carbon chassis. And I think you're right that carbon to plastic weights would be comparable. If you're looking to shave weight I would look into using titanium where you can- turnbuckles and hingepins are the most cost effective, but using Ti ballstuds and screws saves a lot of weight as well (though pricey). Small things add up too- I kept the plastic battery thumbscrews rather than the nicer and easier to thread aluminum ones, and even used the plastic shock preloads over the aluminum ones on my DESC210 that I run in blinky 17.5. Lunsford has Ti upper shock mounts as well and save some weight over the steel ones too. Acer ceramic bearings are said to be 20% or so lighter than stock steel bearings, and also have much less drag. I was able to go up a couple teeth and keep the same temps when I switched to them. There's not a whole lot else to put it on a diet I can think of, but my durango sc is faster and easier to drive than my SC10 was, even with it being the heavier of the two.