R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
The main problem with the steering linkage is the poor fit between the bearings and the steering posts. Since you already have the option parts, it's not going to be an issue.

Standard parts don't return to centre because the bearings find a new centre after every corner. Option parts return to centre, the up/down float that you can shim is on a different axis and has hardly any effect.

And I can measure the amount of side to side movement in a diff with an assembled Mini and a pair of calipers in a few seconds. Just move the from side to side and measure the difference in the amount of outdrive visible. Not that I see any need to shim the diff.
Thank you for trying to answer my questions and do appreciate the attempt. However, while what you're saying sounds great, on close examination doesn't add up. The bearing fit to the post could not be the major factor cause the misfit is in microns. If you check. there are a number of places between the servo horn and the wheel that have far more play than the bearings to the steering post. There are at least 8-10. There are 4 in just the ball connectors and the adjusters and there is a step screw on each side. There are also several step screws and a couple of hinge pins. All of these points have more play than the bearing and post.

The bearings may indeed find new centers going from corner to corner, but so will everything else from the servo to the wheel. Can't buy the bearing argument at all.

Now as far as your method of measuring the end play of the diff. You left out what to move from side to side, but assumed you meant the outdrives. If you did, I have no idea what you are measuring. You do realize that the shoulder of the outdrive bottoms out on the bearings don't you. There will be very little movement. It could be that I was moving the wrong things cause the outdrives don't move at all.

My fault on the steering question, but the question really is why with all that slop, the steering on a Mini seems to work. I believe that I know the answer, but am interested in other opinions and am curious to see if anyone came to similar conclusions to mine.