R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Dasmopar
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11204555]I agree Phil! (I think Lon is just trying to stirr stuff up!)

Slower guys should learn to move out of the way of faster guys! That being said, they should also hold their line. The idea that someone significantly slower should attempt to "race" a much faster car is bad for both drivers. (This is the problem: how to define "significantly slower". I'd say that it should be evident to the "slower" car. IF you are on the same lap with a minute to go, you should race. If you are getting lapped one minute into the race, get out of the way!!)

When you try to stay ahead of another car which is alot faster than you are you are not learning how to race better, you are only hurting the lap times of both cars. I'm not saying to do anything drastic like stopping or turning abruptly, but go wide at a safe place and time. Watch 1:1 racing, only bozo's try to stay ahead when they are way over matched. As Farmer said, you can follow the guy who got by and see how long you can sick to him. It's a whole lot easier to watch someone ahead of you than some one behind you!

A couple of years ago I got back into 1/8 On-Road and my first race was the WinterNats. I was running an old oblolete car and "junk" motor and had not run these cars for 10 or 15 years. I found myself in heat races with MUCH faster cars and did my best to stay out of their way. After one heat race, I apologized to one "A Main" driver about my being in the way all the time. He pointed out that my driving was not a problem and that he and I had our best qualifiers in the same race! He lapped me numerous times! Thinking about it, I never came together with another car, until Lon crashed me a few times as I lapped him...now I see what the problem was!! Of course I have not been able to run anywhere near as fast as him since then!! [/QUOTE]

Good post Ned.