R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
Opposite of loose.
Fair enough.

Didn't know I sparked a debate but glad we've managed to translate english into emm, english? Little wonder non english speakers are confused.

I do think however that some of the explanation might be misleading. A couple of people have mentioned here the behaviour of front wheels vs the behaviour of the rear wheels which I am not quite comfortable with. I think a better view is to regard the car as a unit and the oversteer/understeering problem as one of balance rather than attribute it to one or the other of the wheel pairs. Understeer then becomes a behaviour where the grip balance is biased towards the rear end, which is not the same to say the rear end has too much grip. Maybe the front has too little? The consequence is that such a view (or the confusion induced by vague explanations such as "your rear end has too much grip") gives rise to wrong solutions such as trying to reduce grip where there is perceived to be too much. In my view grip is not the problem but rather the lack of it. I would focus efforts then in trying to bring the grip up where it is missing rather than reduce it where it is present.

My comments come from seeing here way too may threads that follow this line where people ask for solutions and they're instructed to reduce grip there or there by doing this or the other. A forum being what it is the solutions may or may not work for reasons we'll never know but I think more often than not people think they have found an algorithm they can apply without further thinking to achieve their goals.

Last edited by niznai; 09-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.