R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
RCGaryK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Did someone say my name? I thought I heard something...
That was me, I farted

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
It keep costs down only for those getting into racing not those already racing. I guess that's the people you guys are trying to get? Those of us who race other classes and already have equipment it costs more cause we can't run the stuff we already have. I thought the whole point of this class was to be inexpensive to run and your sapose to be able to run old equipment to keep cost down , I guess that only counts for the chassis. I ran vta at carpet nats and had a blast but if I would of had to buy a inferior brand ( in my oppinion) esc I wouldn't have ran the class. Anyways these questions and arguments go nowhere so what's the point.
This is kinda/sorta my point. For the crowd we had here they have been running almost all off-road. Not only that but, again just in our area, Stock/17.5 is almost non-existent. Just about everything is open mod. I call it the Rickey Bobby syndrome (I wanna go fast!) but I digress. That being said if we can get some of these guys to be able to come and run, buy into the program and such, and make it so they can use SOME of their existing equipment without having a competitive advantage I think that will help grow our program in our situation. The same goes for capacity limits. For our classes people are going to have to buy the chassis, motor, body, wheels, tires for sure. If they can save some money by reusing some of their existing gear (part of the core philosophy behind USVTA) and not have a competitive advantage how is that a bad thing. But again the reasoning behind my questions was to see if there was a competitive reason behind why the ROAR VTA ESC Rules differed from the USVTA ESC Rules. I'm not saying one is better than the other I was just looking for some clarity.

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Gary,

Understanding what Barb and Jim (Hot Slots) are trying to do with their fledgling program and the demographic area that they are in. It may be that the ROAR version of VTA, however only use the ballistic or SS motors, is the best route to go for them initially and then slowly morph it over to USVTA if it makes sense to do so.

With the saturation of offroad in your area, and no real on-road presence in the area. It may be that little bit of incentive for the offroad crowd to swing to on-road in the off months by using the ROAR specs with 1 motor mfg. to get started.

I also know that with yourself and the MIA Johnny from mars (aka Rick) helping them in some decisions. The program will turn out well.

I would not have a problem making a southerly drive to run my USVTA car once in awhile once that get started.
Eric, thanks! I think swallowing buying a spec motor is easier to swallow for this situation because, like I say, almost no-one runs 17.5T down here so to be able to run someone has to buy a motor anyways. A 25.5T and the 17.5T are the same price so that's a push. Here's the other thing. For those looking to get both an ESC and Motor the Novak Club System is going to be the system I'm going to recommend. You can't beat the price if you need to start from scratch.