R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
RCGaryK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
+1 you can run ROAR spec, but if you do that you should let the newbies know that they will have to comply with the National rule set if they want to go to Non ROAR AKA USVTA races. .
This is what I think we will do. However I am looking for reasons and understanding behind why there is a bias against going the ROAR Approved Blinky ESC list route before we do that.

Originally Posted by robk
Gary if this is a big issue, run the ROAR rules, which are vta rules, but any 25.5, any blinky esc, no mah limit and no driver required.
Rob, please tell me that you don't really think that running ROAR rules eliminates the driving aspect of this class. You're smarter than that and I hope you were just being snarky.

Originally Posted by robk
I know some of you will ask what the difference is between these escs and blinky mode escs? That is a question I have been considering as well. It's also why there has been a lot of evaluation, which will continue.
I guess this is my greater point. What, in the end, is the difference. It really seems, from the outside, like this is paranoia against one manufacturer's hardware due to something that cropped up 3 years ago. That being said my focus at our new track for VTA is to sing the praises of it being an inexpensive class to run. Tires are cheap and last forever. You're not going as fast so they're easier to driver and you break less stuff when you hit things. The Novak Club system is going to be a focal ESC/Motor combo. These are all good things for the newbies.

However, in our case where this is the first decent on-road track in the area in years and no-one is running on-road, we also need to get the Off Road guys to buy in and see on-road as a viable option through VTA. We don't have a USGT or 17.5 class for people to run and, honestly, I don't know how much we want to promote multiple classes in the beginning. The more classes you have the more you dilute your turnout. In our case, again trying to build from the ground-up, going with the ROAR standards instead of VTA will make it easier for guys, who have to buy a car since they're off road guys, to come and run. This is one of the reasons guys are looking to run sedan and not so much at 1/12-scale or the World GT class... those both require different 1S packs than what these guys already have for their standard 1/10-scale cars. Again, I guess my focus is lowering the barrier of entry and making it as easy as possible for as many people to run the class when it comes to a higher-dollar purchase such as an ESC.