R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbywing Xerun V3
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Meilleur
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Telinoz1975
Been out of the Hobby for more then 10 years.
However, even back then ESC had wires pre-soldered.
Why do ESC makers not bother soldering wires now?
I mean, they supply 5 wires for the job so solder them..... then let the user decide on cut length to battery connectors and motor.

It's taken me more then 1.5 hours to solder 5 wires onto this thing, what a pain in the arse.
TIP: Don't pre-tin the buckets on this ESC like you would do with just about every soldering job every done. The heatsink sucks the heat quickly, so you try holding your wire and pushing it into a half filled bucket just doesn't work as the instant you remove the soldering tip the solder loses temp and that's it.
I'm used to pushing a pre-tinned wire into a pre-tinned bucket (like I've done for 20 years).
If I had another crack at this, I would have placed wires pre-tinned into the bucket and clamped the hell out of them.
I would have then soldered around and filled the bucket with the wire already in it.
This thing better work after all this nonsense.

Rant over!!
Time for a beer now.
There are many soldering guides on the internet to help you out. If its taking you that long to solder you are

1) doing it incorrectly
2) using the wrong tools
3) or drunk ;-).
4) combination of the three above.

Seriously, if done correctly it should take you no more than 10 min tops which includes cutting the wire to length, stripping, pretinning and soldering all wires.
It sometime takes me a little longer because I'm surfing the Internet and watching tv.