R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
A 21.5 might look similar in RPM range to a silvercan on paper but in pulling power is eons away. The torque these things have is completely on a different scale to silvercans (even good ones). Running minis is probably not the best way to notice since their limited gearing does not make use of the torque of a BL 21.5.

Not to mention longevity. I personally run two seasons in novice, one on silvercans, one on 21.5BL and I went through about 10 silvercans whilst the 21.5 has to this day the same performance it had new.

With timing boosting ESCs these days, it doesn't matter if physical timing can be altered on BL motors or not.
Sorry, but was only referring to a unique situation we have in the TCS series. In Mini, boosted escs are not used, but motors with variable timing are. Fortunately or unfortunately, a limited number of esc and motors are on the approved list. Under these conditions, the 17.5 is very much quicker than a silver can, but the 21.5 might be more in line. The performance difference between the 17.5 and the Silvercan are is so great that the two rarely run together. It seems to me that the Can and a 21.5 may be close enough together in performance to run together. Having not done so yet, this is merely a supposition. And I'm referring only to Minis.

How did you ever manage to go thru 10 Silvercans in 1 season of racing??? If you overgear, overheat or otherwise abuse any motor, you will destroy it. Too often, racers will gear a Can to a FDR of less than 4.0 and expect it to go faster. Not true. It just may be that you may have been trying to force a can to perform with a 21.5 in conditions not conducive for this to happen. Aren't B/L motors also unlikely to last if over geared or overheated????

Are B/L motors superior to the Silvercan????? By all means YES and in just about any way you could think except initial cost.