R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
ByteStream
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benedict
Can anyone help me with reducing the temperature without compromising on speed&power? Or are these temperature levels acceptable and within Hobbywing limits?
You need to run a fan.

As mentioned, your settings are pretty aggressive. Running mod, it's no longer the motor that gets hot, it's the ESC. I assume your using the stock software because of the more aggressive timing profiles, which generates more heat. Try to keep it under 160F (70C) if possible. If your going over 70C (160F) I would install a fan to move air over the ESC which will definitely help. Most of the mod guys I run with use a fan.

In a 1/12 scale there is limited room and depending on your body your choices are limited. The best is to use the heatsink and mount the fan to it, but I doubt you have the room (I don't). Next, you can perhaps mount it directly on the flat heatsink with some tape in the center of the fan, or stand it up next to the ESC. Any air movement across it, is better than none.

I've also heard (I'm not recommeding this) that some folks have drilled a couple of small holes into the case. With a fan standing next to it, the results were dramaticly cooler.

With mod and aggressive timing profiles, fans are becoming pretty standard.