R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Need seriouse advice on a top notch truggy!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM
NZ_Basher
Tech Apprentice

What Truggy is a tough one with many answers. I run Losi because it suits my driving style and is very easy to change handling characteristics with minor adjustments.
But that doesn't mean Mugen, Kyosho, Xray etc aren't as good or even better for some people (I ran Xray for years) all have there weak areas as far as breakage, but most have an easy fix for them.

Losi, you have to make sure you shim the rear diff just right and I also use King heads rear Hubs which allows you to use 16mm outside bearing, the 14mm standard bearing can fail under the pounding a Truggy gets with its long arms and big tires. Losi's are fast and the option parts you need have Losi written on them (except rear hubs). get the V2 rear tower, LRC rear Hinge pins and start with Adam Drakes setup thats on the TLracing website.

Kyosho used to have terrible failures with the rear diff, But I think that's been addressed in the evo? Don't know much more about them, but they certainly seem to steer good and are fast. they have very good shocks that have found there way onto other brands

Xray had a problem with breaking the right rear hub, (Left one never broke, I used the Aluminium ones to fix problem) I had trouble getting the steering I wanted with the Xray, purple springs are the go and take some caster out to get turn in, they have a small eccentric bush at the front Hub, take one degree of caster out with them and all will be good, taking it out there makes a bigger difference than taking it out at the diff with the adjustable hinge pin holders. Xray need to bring out a new Truggy based on Current XB9 Buggy in my opinion, it would certainly benefit from the new shock design (Truggy uses longer shocks front and back so you can't use Buggy shocks on it) and the font Hub design would improve steering

Mugens, Nice to drive (when setup right) but I couldn't get the laptimes within a second of a Losi I didn't like!, probably just setup. I have seen issues with front arms breaking, but I think that may have been a bad batch of arms

Associated, don't know, not many of them in New Zealand

Hotbodies, haven't been that popular here, or elsewhere, so might not be the best choice.

Serpent, a lot of guys over here are going pretty fast with these. some early trouble's, but as they are relatively new, people wont have learnt the wee build tricks all cars have. Run the shocks with zero rebound seems to be the go with them, although that does sound wrong, I have seen a dramatic difference at my local track.

So, best for you, don't know, the earlier advise to run something that's common at your local track and has parts available locally is the best bit of advise you will ever get.

If your unsure, Buy a Losi