R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
cwoods34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
I am curious who here has driven Xray T3's? I have driven a couple of them, and then last night drove another T3 VTA car. As I have been concentrating a lot of the feel of a car (particularly corner speed and rotation), it seemed really eye opening to me.

My S411 seems to turn off the front end. It feels like it digs in and powers through from the back. It has a traditional throttle steer feel, but is very planted. I have been coming off with the front tires at ~105* and the rears at ~95*. Driving the Xray, it felt very tail happy in comparison. Watching him drive, it appeared that he threw it into every corner, and then the front end pulls it around and out. It rotates very quick, and to me, you have to be much lighter on the steering to not break the back end loose. I have felt the same with several other Xray's, but had always assumed that it was just the driving style preference of those drivers. The Xray's tires come off around the same temps, but reversed, with the rears being higher temp then the fronts. With a longer session (8 min main), the rears will creep up a little higher, and around the 7 min mark, will begin to get loose even for them driving.

In comparison, the Xray felt like what I would have expected a FWD to feel like (The 411FF feels much more like my 4WD oddly enough).

I ask, because it makes me think my driving style is wrong (and probably slower), and while my car is very smooth around the corners, it doesn't seem to be on edge like the other's, and is slower as a result. When my driving does not interfere, I can run pretty smooth and consistent, but I am definitely off the pace (0.5sec slower fast lap, 0.3 at the beginning of a race, 0.1 at the end average...i have less fade so it closes up some at the end).

This is all rubber tire on carpet. It is VTA specifically now (staggered treaded wheels) but I have felt the same with our TC's as well. We are all running front spools and rear gear diffs.
My friend's T3 is the same way. He throws it hard into the turn and the front looks as if it claws through. I drove it and was a few tenths slower than him when I drove it like I do the Serpent (smooth & neutral). When I got aggressive and yanked the throttle and wheel through the turns I got a little faster with it, but it scrubbed a bit more. The incredible smoothness of the Serpent is why it was so easy for me to wheel it with a mod motor and lay consistent laps.

I agree with Johnny on the 2.5 upper for carpet..... I ran it with the 2.25 lower and it felt great regardless of traction!