R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 AM
M-Technic
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by narcotiks
Hi solara,
I was trying to get a good set up with the gt2 lpf and 21.5 reedy motor but just had no success. Tried pretty much everything. But I did notice that things got worse when I turned the timing acc down lower. I know this setting changes how fast the boost is applied, but does this setting also shorter or lengthen the rev range ?
Could you recommend any settings for a mid to large outdoor asphault track with a long straight and a few tight and a few flowing corners?
And in the manual it says to never exceed 64 degrees of timing with the boost and turbo, but does this include motor can timing? Say if I had 30 boost 24 turbo and 10 degrees on the motor , would that be TOO much timing all together ?
Thanks
The Timing ACC dictates how quickly the boost timing is applied. It is 1 degree for every XXX RPM. So for instance, if you have 40 degrees of boost timing, 5,000 start RPM, and a 500 timing ACC, the timing will start adding 1 degree every 500 RPM starting at 5,000 RPM. So you'd have all 40 degrees of timing by 25,000 RPM (40 * 500 + 5,000).

The timing ACC does not limit the top RPM of the motor at all, it only dictates how fast the timing gets added. It can have a huge affect on the mid range and even low range power of the motor. However, going too low on the setting can easily bog the motor and create a lot of heat.

64* of timing is the max the ESC can apply, and it does not include motor endbell timing. It is common to use over 64* of timing total when you include the motor timing, especially in stock classes.

Originally Posted by zzztech
Hi I got a MMM stock motor. How much ESC boost + turbo timing can it take? Motor endbell timing left at factory default. I am running 5.92 FDR and boost at 40 deg and turbo at 20.
Temp is only high 30s celcius
You can easily add the max 64* from the ESC, plus some endbell timing on the motor. Your ESC settings and gearing will be important to not blow up the motor. Go to Speed Passion's USA web site and look at the team setups for TJ Lathrop and Robert Cooper for some good boosted 17.5 MMM setups.

Originally Posted by TubOLard
Hi all. I run a 2.0 LPF with 10.5 motor geared at ~5.7 with no fan on the esc. Motor stays cool, but the esc gets warm to the touch, not hot. Is it ok to keep running the esc without a fan?
It really depends on how hot "warm" is to you. Check it with a temp gun. It's best to run the fan if you are in doubt.