R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3Racing Sakura Zero S
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 PM
SteveM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe_Keaveney
Hi guys,

I've been racing 20-odd years and am just now starting to appreciate electric touring cars. I'm looking at getting a Zero S to race indoors on carpet, any advice please? Based on what I've read, the aluminium shocks seem like a sensible upgrade to give better damping performance.

Does it perform OK out of the box? Does anything wear out quickly?

I don't make a lot of mistakes (took me 20 years to learn that mind) so I'm not interested in changing something unless it adds performance or remedies an obvious weakness. That said, is there anything you guys would say needs to go on the car in addition to what's in the box, before it hits the track?

Cheers

Joe
Joe,

The car runs fine straight out of the box, and even the plastic shocks work fine. They have such little travel I don't think the alloy ones make much of a difference.

The upgrades that I recommend are more for ease of use than anything else. These are the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapter, 19T layshaft pulleys, belt tensioner. The 19T pulleys give a biy more slack to the belts and loose is fast. The vertical motor mount makes motor adjustments so much easier. The belt tensioner keeps the loose belt from flapping too much.

There are some mods you need to make in order to use these parts. The upper deck needs a little grinding, but this takes no time with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. The drive belts have to move to the opposite side of the chassis and this change means they interfere with the battery pack guides. These guides need to be altered but once done fit back onto the chassis.

Nothing hard but thought you should know. I posted pics of my modes in this thread some time ago.