R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2012
Thread: Xray T3 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 PM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The only play I found was in the vertical axis where a tiny shim could do with being fitted. As you've mnetioned, other than that they do the same job and unlike alloy won't bend. I have yet to meet anyone who has broken any, ergo, alloy versions aren't needed.

It is not needed, the plastic item that comes with the kit is far better at absorbing impacts than any amount or design of CF. If you want I can get a friend to concur as his Tamiya 417X required a new chassis after a couple of front impacts to his car.

Possible the only bit I agree with having replaced the shims to orange alloy versions myself. But you can kit yourself out with Orange items by Take Off for around $10

The only problem with the original parts here is that the composite outdrives could perhaps so with an alu sleeve to help strengthen them and the Xray alu versions could do with being wider, so they use more surface area of the blades. THere is nothing wrong with the spool pulley at all. And the current solution is a lot lighter than any alu version which loweres rotating weight.

The older Xray kits used steel, the newer kits use alu to save weight. I snapped one in 3 years, no others bent etc.

There you go, I've just saved you $130 or so, no need to thank me

No shit!

Part of the problem when comparing your 'business model' is that you haven't taken into account the fact that Xray only make racing kits, most of the others (not sure about a couple of them) also make RTR's and other crap that is mass produced and not half as good as any of their racing cars.

If Xray made such an expensive kit, they may find that people who are considering different models will actually go elsewhere due to the price.

I like the Tamiya's, but could you honestly advise someone who is getting their first 'high end' TC to get one, certainly not unless they have good spares backup and like replaceing broken parts regularly.

Xray have become a very popular RC company with well respected product lines because they are reliable and far more durable than anything else.

If they have to charge a bit extra for the additional bling that is honestly of no use then so be it.

Skiddins