R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2012
Thread: Xray T3 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
....The servo saver steering rack arms are plastic, which really surprised me to be honest. I figured they did this for a couple of reasons, with one being that they would not have as much play as it's aluminum friends. However this is not the case after a few runs it has just as much play as the aluminum server saver arms used on other cars. The other reason is so they could charge $38.99 to make them an option part.
The only play I found was in the vertical axis where a tiny shim could do with being fitted. As you've mnetioned, other than that they do the same job and unlike alloy won't bend. I have yet to meet anyone who has broken any, ergo, alloy versions aren't needed.

Bumper brace is plastic and to replace it with a stiffer CF piece will cost you $20.99. Some people may not think this is needed, but is commonly included in other kits and can help support the bumper systems in the front end. This one is knit pick, but is included in many other kits.
It is not needed, the plastic item that comes with the kit is far better at absorbing impacts than any amount or design of CF. If you want I can get a friend to concur as his Tamiya 417X required a new chassis after a couple of front impacts to his car.

Packs of shims to replace all of the plastic shims is about $25.50
Possible the only bit I agree with having replaced the shims to orange alloy versions myself. But you can kit yourself out with Orange items by Take Off for around $10

The plastic spool does not really have a reasonable aluminum counter part, but to get a higher quality solution people are upgrading to Side Piece Racing out drives or they are using the Xray steel and aluminum versions. I personally like the composite out drives, but wish the spool itself was aluminum with composite out drives. Bottom line is that I see this as another skimp item. Tamiya, HB, Serpent, TOP, 3Racing are all using higher quality materials to build this part.
The only problem with the original parts here is that the composite outdrives could perhaps so with an alu sleeve to help strengthen them and the Xray alu versions could do with being wider, so they use more surface area of the blades. THere is nothing wrong with the spool pulley at all. And the current solution is a lot lighter than any alu version which loweres rotating weight.

Turnbuckles for the kit can be hit or miss based on the manufacturer, but at a minimum the steering links need to be upgraded on the xray. Titanium or spring steel turnbuckles are included in quite a few kits at no extra up-charge.
The older Xray kits used steel, the newer kits use alu to save weight. I snapped one in 3 years, no others bent etc.

Base kit T3'12 $529.00
Aluminum Shocks: $93.98 possible option
Steering Rack: $38.99 totally uneccessary
Bumper Brace: $20.99 Waste of time
Shims: $25.50 Bit steep but cheaper are available
Spool upgrades: $30.00, uneccessary
Ti Steering Turnbuckles: $15.00 totally uneccessary
There you go, I've just saved you $130 or so, no need to thank me

So to get the car from stock up to the same fit and finish as other competition you would have to spend $753.46. Most people won't do this, but if you did, that is what you might have to spend to get the same level of finish that comes stock with the Tamiya 417X, Serpent S411TE, TOP Photon EX, AE TC6.1, Yokomo BD5, 3Racing Sakura XI-DH, and others. I know that some of these cars do not have the same quality of parts as the Xray, but you also don't have to add much out of the box to the other kits at a much lower street cost price.
No shit!

Like I said, I like Xray, but in the same breath I think people have just come to accept the level of finish they get from the car. I just don't think it is that complicated. Xray Designs the next car, builds a costs to manufacture, and then trims the parts that push the car past their price point and adds profit. Everything else that does not fit in the bucket becomes an option. Pretty typical business model, but the other companies have figured out a way to include it in the base kit. Some companies have to sacrifice quality in some areas, but not all...
Part of the problem when comparing your 'business model' is that you haven't taken into account the fact that Xray only make racing kits, most of the others (not sure about a couple of them) also make RTR's and other crap that is mass produced and not half as good as any of their racing cars.

If Xray made such an expensive kit, they may find that people who are considering different models will actually go elsewhere due to the price.

I like the Tamiya's, but could you honestly advise someone who is getting their first 'high end' TC to get one, certainly not unless they have good spares backup and like replaceing broken parts regularly.

Xray have become a very popular RC company with well respected product lines because they are reliable and far more durable than anything else.

If they have to charge a bit extra for the additional bling that is honestly of no use then so be it.

Skiddins