R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM
artwork
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.C
Can someone explain the handling characteristics when adjusting the front and rear wheelbase independently? I’m aware of what overall wheelbase adjustments do for handling.
When you move wheelbase at both ends of the car at the same time (assuming an equal amount) the weight distribution changes on the car. This is usually done to affect the tipping point or center of weight shift.

When you change one end of the car you are actually adjusting the wheel base by making the overall car either shorter or longer. This also affects the weight bias in the car and usually has a dramatic change in the overall feel of the car. The shorter the wheelbase the easier is the car to rotate through a corner and the longer the wheel based the more stable the car is which usually has less overall steering.

It is best to try and achieve as close to 50/50 front and rear and then adjust to your liking. People usually use scales to measure the weight distribution front to rear.

I personally do not do this...I usually drive the car and fine tune as I need to. This is not a setting I usually mess with once I get my car set the way that I like it.